November 18, 2009

New Toys!



Who knew there were such cool toys?  Last week I missed our drawing class, so I missed out on the electric eraser, but this week we were introduced to a water-brush, and watercolor pencils!  These are very clever inventions, and way too much fun!  You can fill the water brush with water and then take it with you, along with your watercolor paints, and paint anywhere without making (much of) a mess.



And then there's the watercolor pencils, which seem like regular colored pencils, except they're water soluble, so when you run your nifty-spiffy water brush over the drawing, the color dissolves into watercolor paint.  I may be the only person in North America who didn't know about their existence, but it's news to me, and fun news at that!


The teacher also introduced us to the idea of  less-is-more with regard to watercolor paints. But anyone who knows me knows this is a tough sell. Still, I tried NOT to color in the entire picture.


We actually had a fun class tonight, because only a few people showed up, so it was more casual and intimate than usual, and I think this served the teacher well.  I drew a pretty good copy of a picture of a covered bridge.  It's not done yet, but I'll post it when I'm finished.  I got a great compliment when Gershon came homehe looked at the drawing and said "wait, I thought you couldn't draw!"  Heh-heh...

1 comment:

Sparks of Spirit Glass said...

Esther, you are a star in this class....and yes, you can draw!