November 1, 2010

A Necklace For All Seasons

My latest project started out as a simple idea... a Spiral Rope necklace with some crystals here and there.  But then, of course, it got more complex.  I was fascinated with Margie Deeb's take on the colors for Fall 2010... that necklace of hers with the graduated colors, blending gradually from Goldenrod to a deep red... I just had to do it.  This, of course, necessitated a bead order from Bello Modo, and many false starts before i got the colors right. And forget the goldenrod, we ended up with peach.

Then I decided it should be a lariat, so what should I do at the ends?  Eventually I decided that's where the crystals should go, since they didn't look good anywhere else that I tried. Okay, so far so good. But it seemed like the beautiful peach colors at the opposite end would hardly even be seen... what a waste!  But wait!  What if I make it reversible???  How in the world would I do that?  To be honest, it was simply too late to make a similar lariat-style ending at the other end, since the beading was already done.  Necessity mothered invention, and the peach-colored little "thingy" at that end was born.

So, my simple Spiral Rope became a reversible, graduating-color, crystal-laden lariat necklace.

In the fall and winter,                                                               In the spring and summer,
you can wear it like this:                                                           wear it like this:       

                                                

In other words, what we have is a Necklace For All Seasons.

1 comment:

Sparks of Spirit Glass said...

this is soooooo cool! I love the way you work. It is always one innovation leading you to the next innovation.