December 2, 2013

Beading Challenges

Recently I've completed a few more beading challenges for two of my online beading groups. This has really motivated me to do more beading!

Most recently, we were challenged to create something inspired by a movie. It had to be done in the month of November, which we all know was a crazy month for me.  I started out thinking I would do a project which has been in my mind for a couple of years, because it would tie in beautifully with "The Ten Commandments."  But there was no time for such an ambitious project, so after my last show I came up with a quick idea.  

Based on one of my favorite movies, "Local Hero," this pendant celebrates the Aurora Borealis which captivated the movie's visitors to Scotland.  






Aurora Borealis (or "AB") is also the name for a multi-colored coating featured on many beads, so it seemed fitting for a bead project.  I tried to use a lot of AB coated beads in this free-form pendant:



Also in November came the challenge to create a Christmas or Hanukkah "charm." Not an ornament, it was specified, but a small charm, suitable for a necklace or earring.  I used a pattern I had seen someone do, and made a "Hanukkah Snowflake":


October's challenge was to use Halloween-ish colors. Specifically, we had to use all four of these colors, and no others: black, orange, grey, and gold.  Frankly, I wasn't impressed with some of the early entries, and pretty much decided to sit this one out. But then one night as I was falling asleep, it hit me: that Monarch Butterfly I've been wanting to do, since I read "Flight Behavior," it's basically black and various shades of orange! And I could add little spots of gold and grey on the wings! But would I have time? With about 4 days left in the month, I scrambled to give it a go. I beaded night and day, and finished in time to submit it.  If I do say so myself, I'm pretty happy with it:


What's next?  In a few days, I'll reveal my latest challenge piece, and then it's time to work on the next Read & Bead, which is due January 31st. 




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic!